Connect to the Database
Criterion Pictures has developed an on-line digital delivery feature film platform called Criterion-on-Demand. Our goal is to provide easy access to educationally relevant feature films used in Canadian Higher Education Institutions. We have been working closely with Colleges and Universities to ensure we meet the needs of this market sector. With their help, we believe we have developed a valuable on-line feature film resource that will provide ease-of-access, content relevance, cost-effectiveness, and piracy protection. Criterion-on-Demand is the ONLY customizable on-line Feature Film solution focused specifically on the Canadian Post Secondary Market. "
Features of the product include:
- A dedicated post-secondary bilingual website that offers title information, search capabilities, lists new releases and accepts title requests
- More than 1600 English titles
- More than 1300 French titles
- Approximately 135 foreign language films with English subtitles
- More than 100 documentary features
- Subtitles and/or Closed Captioned when available
- MARC records
- Access via IP authentication including off-campus access
- Unlimited 24-7 access
- High quality media files
New platform: Criterion will switch from their current platform to Kaltura on Oct 15-19, 2016. They expect the transfer to be seamless. Please note the following changes:
- Films will be able to be played from within Google Chrome once again. Chrome users will not be required to install any further plug-ins to begin streaming. Kaltura uses a modular Universal DRM implementation that does not require Silverlight in Chrome.
- Universal DRM still requires the use of Silverlight in Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer until such time as these browsers completely stop support of Silverlight.
- The video player utilizes Adaptive Bitrate Streaming, so locations with limited internet bandwidth will still be able to begin playback without interruptions/buffering (the lowest bitrate served is 470kbps and the highest is 1290kbps).
- The option to download movies will no longer be available, as there is no downloadable Kaltura player that supports the new Universal DRM. However, the new Adaptive Bitrate Streaming should solve most of the problems people were experiencing with playback that drove downloading in the first place.
- Title management is faster and easier in Kaltura so title additions can be more frequent.
Consortia Canada (managed by OCLS)
16/17 -Manitoba joined March 2017