Connect to the Database
Criterion Pictures has developed an on-line digital delivery feature film platform called Criterion-on-Demand. Our goal is to provide easy access to educationally relevant feature films used in Canadian Higher Education Institutions. We have been working closely with Colleges and Universities to ensure we meet the needs of this market sector. With their help, we believe we have developed a valuable on-line feature film resource that will provide ease-of-access, content relevance, cost-effectiveness, and piracy protection. Criterion-on-Demand is the ONLY customizable on-line Feature Film solution focused specifically on the Canadian Post Secondary Market. "
Features of the product include:
- A dedicated post-secondary bilingual website that offers title information, search capabilities, lists new releases and accepts title requests
- More than 1600 English titles
- More than 1300 French titles
- Approximately 135 foreign language films with English subtitles
- More than 100 documentary features
- Subtitles and/or Closed Captioned when available
- MARC records
- Access via IP authentication including off-campus access
- Unlimited 24-7 access
- High quality media files
New for 2017-2018 renewal:
- FOX titles to be returned as of September 2017: In spring 2015, Fox Studios temporarily withdrew approximately 500 titles from the CoD platform. The titles are to be returned to the collection in September but will only be available on-campus (see below). The response deadline has been set to late September, so should Criterion not keep their promise of the titles being returned in September, libraries will still have time to decide if they'd like to cancel.
- FOX titles will only be accessible on-campus. See attached title list of Fox titles to be added to the collection in September. Subscribing libraries will need to provide their off-campus proxy IP range so that Criterion can differentiate between titles that should be available both on and off campus and the Fox titles that are only available on campus.
- With the exception of Google Chrome, in order to play films, the user must have the Silverlight browser plug-in installed. This is a DRM system which is designed to prevent misuse of the digital content. Silverlight is free and takes only a few minutes to download and install. Silverlight is compatible with a wide variety of operating systems and browsers. Not every browser and OS combination is compatible. Please see the System Requirements tab on http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx for more details
MARC: Criterion now has a page on their website where subscribers can access MARC records, including files of additions and deletions. All CoD titles with the exception of the Fox titles now have MARC records available. The Fox titles are supposed to have MARC records available by the end of the year. https://media2.criterionpic.com/htbin/wwform/006?T=MARC
Criterion is willing to add new titles to the platform at the request of libraries. Criterion must already hold the Canadian rights for the film/studio in question. The request form is available at: https://www.criterionondemand.com/about-criterion-on-demand/title-suggestions
Consortia Canada (managed by OCLS)
16/17 -Manitoba joined March 2017